Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

About Form 656, Offer in Compromise

Use Form 656 when applying for an Offer in Compromise (OIC), which is an agreement between you and the IRS that settles your tax liabilities for less than the full amount that you owe.

Current Products

For an OIC based on doubt as to collectibility or based on effective tax administration, download Form 656-B, a booklet which includes instructions and the following forms:

  • Form 656, Offer in Compromise
  • Form 433-A (OIC), Collection Information Statement for Wage Earners and Self-Employed Individuals
  • Form 433-B (OIC), Collection Information Statement for Businesses

For an OIC based on doubt as to liability, download the following forms:

For Tax Professionals

If you are a taxpayer submitting an OIC on your own behalf, you should download and submit only files listed above under "Current Products." The following download is intended for use only by tax preparation professionals.

Other Items You May Find Useful

Offer in Compromise -- detailed information (including fees and payment requirements)

Pre-Qualifier Tool -- confirm your eligibility and prepare a preliminary proposal

Request for Appeal of Offer in Compromise

Other Current Products

Comment on Form 656

Use the Comment on Tax Forms and Publications web form to provide feedback on the content of this product. Although we cannot respond individually to each comment, we do appreciate your feedback and will consider all comments submitted.

CAUTION: We cannot respond to tax-related questions submitted using this page. Instead, please see our Tax Law Questions.