Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

About Form 8885, Health Coverage Tax Credit

Use Form 8885 to figure the amount, if any, of your health coverage tax credit (HCTC).

Current Products

Recent Developments

You MUST file Form 8885 with Form 1040, 1040NR, 1040-SS, or 1040-PR on or before [April 15, 2019], or request an extension to file your tax return on or before [April 15, 2019], even if you’re not claiming any additional HCTC on Form 8885.

How to make an election

Check the box on line 1 of Form 8885 for the first eligible coverage month you’re electing to take the HCTC. You must also check all boxes on line 1 for each coverage month after the election month for which you’re eligible to take the HCTC. If you aren’t eligible to take the HCTC for any coverage month, the election doesn’t apply for that month.

You cannot claim the HCTC on line 2 of Form 8885 for any advance monthly payment amount included on Form 1099-H. Claiming these amounts on your Form 8885 means you would receive the credit twice. For example, you participated in the Advance Monthly Payment Program and paid $27.50 (27.5%) of a $100 monthly premium to “U.S. Treasury-HCTC.” You received a Form 1099-H showing an advance payment of $72.50 (72.5% of the $100 premium). You wouldn’t include any part of the $100 premium on line 2 because you already received the benefit of the Advance Monthly Payment Program.

For more information, refer to Form 8885 and its instructions.

What will happen if you don’t make a timely election

You’ll need to repay, as an additional tax, all [2018] advance monthly payment amounts. Also, if you filed Form 14095, The Health Coverage Tax Credit (HCTC) Reimbursement Request, you’ll need to repay all reimbursements of the HCTC you received in [2018].

Other Items You May Find Useful

Comment on Form 8885

Use the Comment on Tax Forms and Publications web form to provide feedback on the content of this product. Although we cannot respond individually to each comment, we do appreciate your feedback and will consider all comments submitted.

CAUTION: We cannot respond to tax-related questions submitted using this page. Instead, please see our Tax Law Questions.