Tax Exempt & Government Entities Division At-a-Glance
To provide our customers top quality service by helping them understand and comply with applicable tax laws and to protect the public interest by applying the tax law with integrity and fairness to all.
Customers include small local community organizations, municipalities, major universities, large pension funds to small business plans, state governments and participants of complex tax-exempt bond transactions.
Our customers are divided into three segments:
- Employee Plans
- Retirement plans, IRAs, and related trusts
- Plan participants and beneficiaries
- Employer sponsors of retirement plans
- Exempt Organizations
- Organizations exempt from income tax under Internal Revenue Code Section 501 (including private foundations and organizations described in IRC 170(b)(1)(A)(except clause (v))
- Political organizations described in IRC 527
- Organizations described in IRC 4947(a)
- Prepaid legal plans described in IRC 120
- Welfare benefit funds described in IRC 4976
- Government Entities
- Education and communication to help customers understand their tax responsibilities.
- Rulings and agreements to provide an emphasis on up-front compliance, such as the determination and voluntary compliance programs.
- Examinations to identify and address non-compliance.
- Customer account services to provide taxpayers with efficient tax filings as well as accurate and timely responses to questions and requests for information.
- Coordination with other IRS divisions and oversight entities, including the Department of the Treasury, Department of Labor, Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, Congressional committees, and state governments.
|Sunita Lough, Commissioner||(202) 317-8400||(877) 803-0515|
|David Horton, Deputy Commissioner||(202) 317-8500||(202) 317-8812|
|Nanette Downing, Assistant Deputy Commissioner,
Government Entities/Shared Services
|(202) 317-8977||(202) 317-8563|
|Robert Choi, Director, Employee Plans||(202) 317-8700||(202) 317-8808|
|Margaret Von Lienen, Acting Director, Exempt Organizations||(202) 317-8989||(877) 814-2234|