Our mission is to provide our customers top quality service by helping you understand and comply with applicable tax laws and to protect the public interest by applying the tax law with integrity and fairness to all.
Customers include small local community organizations, major universities, large pension funds, small business retirement plans, local and state governments, participants in complex tax-exempt bond transactions and Indian tribal governments and tribal associations.
Our customers are divided into three segments:
- Employee Plans
- Retirement plans, IRAs, and related trusts
- Plan participants and beneficiaries
- Employer sponsors of retirement plans
- Exempt Organizations and Government Entities
- Organizations exempt from income tax under Internal Revenue Code Section (IRC) 501 (including charities, private foundations and other types of exempt organizations, such as business leagues, labor unions, and veterans’ organizations)
- Political organizations described in IRC 527
- Federal, state and local governments
- Rulings and agreements to provide an emphasis on up-front compliance, such as the determination and voluntary compliance programs
- Examinations to identify and address non-compliance
- Education and communication to help customers understand their tax responsibilities
- Customer account services to provide taxpayers with efficient tax filings and accurate and timely responses to questions and information requests
- Coordination with other IRS divisions and oversight entities, including the Department of the Treasury, Department of Labor, Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, Congressional committees, and state governments.
Subscribe to TE/GE Updates
Employee Plans Newsletter
The retirement plan newsletter is for plan sponsors, participants and tax practitioners. It includes email updates on tax law changes and resources to help answer your retirement plan and IRA questions.
Indian Tribal Governments News
Indian Tribal Governments (ITG) News if for Tribes and their representatives. It includes email updates about developments in tax law and regulations, tax issues related to gaming, tax resources for Tribes, and website updates.
Tax Exempt Bond Community Update
This newsletter is for tax professionals and representatives of tax-exempt issuers. It includes email updates and alerts from the IRS about developments in tax law and regulations applicable to tax-exempt bonds, updates to our website, and other information.
Exempt Organization Update
The EO Update newsletter is for charities and nonprofits and the tax practitioners who represent them. It includes email updates and alerts from the Tax-Exempt and Government Entities Division at the IRS about developments in tax law and regulations, upcoming IRS training and events, and other information for tax-exempt entities.
Federal, State, and Local Government Newsletter
This newsletter is issued periodically during the year and provides information about current developments and upcoming events of interest to government entities.
To subscribe to any of these newsletters, visit the IRS newsletter signup page and select the newsletters you would like to receive.
|Tammy Ripperda, Commissioner||202-317-8400|
Edward Killen, Deputy Commissioner
|Eric Slack, Director, Employee Plans||202-317-8700|
|Margaret Von Lienen, Director, Exempt Organizations and Government Entities||202-317-8989|