Our mission is to provide our customers top quality service by helping you understand and comply with applicable tax laws and to protect the public interest by applying the tax law with integrity and fairness to all.
Customers include small local community organizations, major universities, large pension funds, small business retirement plans, local and state governments, participants in complex tax-exempt bond transactions and Indian tribal governments and tribal associations.
Our customers are divided into three segments:
- Employee Plans
- Retirement plans, IRAs, and related trusts
- Plan participants and beneficiaries
- Employer sponsors of retirement plans
- Exempt Organizations and Government Entities
- Organizations exempt from income tax under Internal Revenue Code Section (IRC) 501 (including charities, private foundations and other types of exempt organizations, such as business leagues, labor unions, and veterans’ organizations)
- Political organizations described in IRC 527
- Federal, state and local governments
- Rulings and agreements to provide an emphasis on up-front compliance, such as the determination and voluntary compliance programs
- Examinations to identify and address non-compliance
- Education and communication to help customers understand their tax responsibilities
- Customer account services to provide taxpayers with efficient tax filings and accurate and timely responses to questions and information requests
- Coordination with other IRS divisions and oversight entities, including the Department of the Treasury, Department of Labor, Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, Congressional committees, and state governments.
|Tammy Ripperda, Commissioner||202-317-8400|
Edward Killen, Deputy Commissioner
|Cathy Jones – Acting Director, Employee Plans||202-317-8700|
|Margaret Von Lienen, Director, Exempt Organizations and Government Entities||202-317-8989|