IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Age/Name/SSN Rejects, Errors, Correction Procedures

Question: I filed electronically and my tax return was rejected. What do I do now?


There must be an error on your return. Please review the following:

  • You should receive an explanation of why your return was rejected.
  • If you made a mistake in entering a social security number, a payer’s identification number, omitted a form, or misspelled a name, you can correct these errors and resubmit your return electronically with the IRS.
  • Unfortunately, there are other errors that will cause you to have to file your return by mail.
  • If you have further questions, call us toll-free at 800-829-1040.
  • For general information about e-file, refer to E-File Options for Individuals.

Category: Electronic Filing (e-file)
Subcategory: Age, Name or SSN Rejects, Errors, Correction Procedures

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224