Top Frequently Asked Questions for Electronic Filing (e-file)


You can file Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return electronically with tax filing software to amend your Form 1040, 1040-SR, 1040-NR, or 1040-SS/PR for the current or two prior tax periods. If amending a prior year return originally filed on paper, then the amended return must also be filed on paper. See Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, frequently asked questions for more information. You still have the option to file a paper version of the Form 1040-X and should follow the instructions for preparing and filing the paper form.



Yes, electronically filed tax returns are accepted until November. The specific cutoff date in November is typically announced in October in the QuickAlerts Library. However, keep in mind the following:

  • If April 15 doesn't fall on a weekend or legal holiday, you must file Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return on or before April 15 for your return to be considered timely if filed after April 15.
  • If April 15 falls on a weekend or legal holiday, you have until midnight the next business day following April 15 to timely file either Form 4868 or your tax return.
  • If you timely file Form 4868, you have until October 15 to timely file your return. If October 15 falls on a weekend or legal holiday, you have until midnight the next business day following October 15 to timely file your tax return.
  • If you have a balance due and don't timely file Form 4868, you may be subject to a failure to file penalty if you file your return after April 15 (or after the next business day following April 15, if April 15 falls on a weekend or legal holiday).


If you have verified the SSNs for all your dependents with the Social Security Administration and no one else is authorized to claim them, the following scenario probably applies to you:

  • The SSN in question also appears as the filer, spouse, or dependent on another tax return for this same year.
  • The cause of this rejection is the result of a typo on another return or an attempt by another party to claim a benefit using your dependent's SSN. The IRS has security measures in place to ensure the accuracy of returns submitted.
  • The IRS will, in some cases, contact taxpayers using the same SSN of a dependent to claim a benefit and ask them to reconsider their eligibility or to provide supporting documentation.
  • If you've verified this dependent's SSN and found no errors, unfortunately you need to file a paper return.
  • Don't attach any information or documents with your return proving your eligibility to claim a dependent; if needed, the IRS will contact you by mail for any supporting documentation.



Yes, you can file an original Form 1040 series tax return electronically using any filing status.

Filing your return electronically is faster, safer, and more accurate than mailing your tax return because it's transmitted electronically to the IRS computer systems.


There must be an error on your tax return. Please review the following:

  • You should receive an explanation of why your return was rejected.
  • If you made a mistake in entering a social security number, a payer's identification number, omitted a form, or misspelled a name, you can correct these errors and electronically file your tax return again.
  • Unfortunately, there are other errors that will cause you to have to file your return by mail.
  • To timely file a paper return after an electronic return was rejected, your paper return must be postmarked by the later of the due date of the return (including extensions) or 10 calendar days after the date the IRS gives notification that it has rejected your electronic return.
  • If you have further questions, call us at 800-829-1040 (see Telephone Assistance for hours of operation).
  • For general information about e-file, refer to Electronic Filing Options for Individuals.


The IRS has partnered with many companies to provide electronic filing to the public. However, the IRS doesn't endorse or approve any particular software for IRS e-file.

To learn more, see Electronic Filing Options for Individuals or Electronic Filing Options for Business and Self-Employed Taxpayers.


You'll use the information from your Forms W-2 to complete your tax return. After filing, retain a copy of the forms for your records. When filing electronically:

  • You must provide a copy of your Forms W-2 to the authorized IRS e-file provider before the provider sends the electronic return to the IRS.
  • You don't need to send your Forms W-2 to the IRS and should keep them in a safe place with a copy of your tax return.
  • Use Form 8453, U.S. Individual Income Tax Transmittal for an IRS e-file Return to mail any paper documents that need to be sent to the IRS after your return has been accepted electronically.

For general information about e-file, refer to Electronic Filing Options for Individuals.

Frequently Asked Question Subcategories for Electronic Filing (e-file)