IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

1099 Information Returns (All Other)

Question: I received a Form 1099-G for my state tax refund regarding a payment I received during the year. Do I have to include this as income on my federal tax return?


Whether or not you have to report your state income tax refund on your federal income tax return depends on if you itemized your deductions using Schedule A (Form 1040):

  • If you did not itemize your deductions on your federal tax return for the same year to which the state or local tax refund applies, do not report any of the refund as income.
  • If you received a refund of state or local income taxes this year for which you took an itemized deduction in an earlier year, you may have to include all or part of the refund as income on your tax return. Report your taxable state or local refunds on line 10 of Form 1040. You cannot use Form 1040A or Form 1040EZ if the item must be reported on your return.

Additional Information:

Category: Interest, Dividends, Other Types of Income
Subcategory: 1099 Information Returns (All Other)

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224