IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Sales, Trades, Exchanges

Question: What form(s) do we need to fill out to report the sale of rental property?


Report the gain or loss on the sale of rental property on Form 4797, Sales of Business Property. Individuals typically use Schedule D (Form 1040), Capital Gains and Losses, together with Form 4797.

For further information, refer to:

Category: Sale or Trade of Business, Depreciation, Rentals
Subcategory: Sales, Trades, Exchanges

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224