This notice reminds you about the amount you owe in tax, penalty, and interest.
What you need to do
- Read your notice carefully. It explains how much money you owe on your taxes.
You may want to
- Make payment arrangements if you cannot pay the full amount you owe.
- Learn more about your payment options here.
Answers to common Questions
Do you charge interest on the money I owe?
Yes, interest accrues on your unpaid balance until you pay it in full.
Do I receive a penalty if I cannot pay the full amount?
Yes, you receive a late payment penalty.
What happens if I cannot pay the full amount I owe?
You can arrange to make a payment plan with us if you cannot pay the full amount you owe.
How can I set up a payment plan?
Call the toll-free number listed on the top right corner of your notice to discuss payment options or learn more about payment arrangements here.
Tips for next year
Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions for which you may qualify. In many cases, you can file free. Learn more about how to file electronically here.
Tax publications you may find useful
- Publication 1, Your Rights as a Taxpayer (PDF)
- Publication 15, (Circular E) Employers Tax Guide (PDF)
- Publication 594, The IRS Collection Process (PDF)
- Publication 4169, Tax Professional Guide to the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (PDF)
- Notice 746, Information About Your Notice, Penalty and Interest (PDF)
- Form 9465, Installment Agreement Request (PDF)
- Full list of tax forms and instructions
- You can authorize someone to contact the IRS on your behalf.
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.
If you can’t find what you need online, you can call the IRS at the 800, 866, or 888 number listed on the notice.