What this notice is about
You received this notice because you have an unpaid balance due.
What you need to do
- Read your notice carefully ― it explains how we calculated the amount due.
- Compare the figures on the notice with your tax return.
- Check the list of payments we applied to your account to see if we applied all the payments you made.
- Contact us within 10 days of the date of your notice if you think we made a mistake.
- Pay the amount due by the date on the notice.
- Contact us to make payment arrangements if you can't pay the full amount you owe. You can also read more about payment options here.
You may want to
- Complete and send us a Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative, to authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact us on your behalf.
- Learn more about how to submit an Offer in Compromise.
Frequently asked questions
Will you charge me additional interest on the amount I owe?
We don’t charge additional interest if you pay the full amount you owe by the payment due date. However, interest will continue to increase on the unpaid balance after the payment due date.
Will I receive a penalty if I can't pay the full amount?
Yes. You will receive a late payment or failure to deposit penalty, depending on what you owe. Notice 746, Information About Your Notice, Penalty and Interest, has more information about penalties and interest.
What happens if I can't pay the full amount I owe?
You can request a payment plan if you can't pay the full amount you owe. Call us at the toll-free number on your notice to discuss payment options or learn more about them here.
What should I do if I disagree with the notice?
Contact us at the toll-free number on your notice. Please have your documentation (such as cancelled checks, amended return, etc.) ready when you call.
Tax publications you may find useful
- Publication 1, Your Rights as a Taxpayer
- Publication 3498-A, The Examination Process (Audits by Mail)
- Publication 594, The IRS Collection Process
- Notice 746, Information About Your Notice, Penalty and Interest
- Form 9465, Installment Agreement Request
- Form 656-B, Offer in Compromise Booklet
- Publication 15 (Circular E), Employer’s Tax Guide
- Publication 542, Corporations
- Publication 559, Survivors, Executors, and Administrators
- Publication 598, Tax on Unrelated Business Income of Exempt Organizations
- Publication 947, Practice Before the IRS and Power of Attorney
- Find a copy of any necessary tax forms and instructions
- You can authorize someone to contact the IRS on your behalf.
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.
If you can’t find what you need online, you can call the IRS at the 800, 866, or 888 number listed on the notice.