Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Understanding your CP21E Notice

As a result of your recent audit, we made changes to your tax return for the tax year specified on the notice. You owe money on your taxes as a result of these changes.

What you need to do

  • Read your notice and audit report carefully ― these will explain why you owe money on your taxes.
  • Pay the amount owed by the date on the notice's payment coupon.
  • Make payment arrangements if you can't pay the full amount you owe.
  • Contact us if you disagree with the change(s) we made.
  • Correct the copy of your tax return that you kept for your records.

Answers to Common Questions

What should I do if I disagree with the changes you made?
If you've information relevant to your audit that we've not already considered and you've not already paid your bill in full, you may request an Audit Reconsideration. Refer to Publication 3598, What You Should Know About the Audit Reconsideration Process for additional information.

If you've already paid the amount due in full, you must file a formal claim using Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

If you don't have additional information to provide, but you disagree with the results of your audit, you may appeal your case to the Appeals Office of the IRS. Refer to Publication 5, Your Appeal Rights and How To Prepare a Protest If You Don’t Agree for additional information.

What happens if I can't pay the full amount I owe?
You can arrange to make a payment plan with us if you can't pay the full amount you owe.

Am I charged interest on the money I owe?
If you don't full pay the amount you owe by the date on the payment coupon, interest will accrue on the unpaid balance after that date.

Will I receive a penalty if I can’t pay the full amount?
Yes, you'll receive a late payment penalty. You can contact us at the number listed on your notice if you’re unable to pay the full amount shown in your specific notice because of circumstances beyond your control. Contact us by the due date of your payment and, depending on your situation, we may be able to remove the penalty.

Can I set up a payment plan?
Yes. Call the toll-free number listed on the top right corner of your notice to discuss payment options or check out more information on payment options and how to make a payment arrangement.

There are other options, such as paying by credit card. Note: There may be a fee to pay by credit card.

What if I need to make another correction to my account?
You'll need to file Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

What if I have tried to get answers and after contacting IRS several times have not been successful?
Call Taxpayer Advocate at 1-877-777-4778 or for TTY/TDD 1-800-829-4059.

The changes you have proposed are the result of actions by my spouse that I knew nothing about. Am I responsible for paying this bill?
You may qualify for innocent spouse relief. To request relief, you must file Form 8857, Request for Innocent Spouse Relief no later than 2 years after the date on which the IRS first attempted to collect the tax from you. Refer to Publication 971, Innocent Spouse Relief for additional information.

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

How to get help