Understanding your CP259 Notice

What this notice is about

We show that you are required to file a tax return for the tax periods indicated on your notice but haven’t.

What you need to do

  • File your required business return immediately.
  • If eligible, file your return electronically with all required schedules, using your e-file provider, or
  • File a paper return with all required schedules.
  • If you think you’re not required to file, complete the Response form enclosed with your notice and mail it to us, using the enclosed envelope or, you can fax your documents to 855-800-5944 using either a fax machine or online fax service. Protect yourself when sending digital data by understanding the fax service’s privacy and security policies. Use the Response form on your notice to explain why you don’t think you need to file.
  • If you have filed within the last four weeks using the same name and EIN shown on the notice, you may disregard this notice.

You may want to

  • Review Tax Information for Businesses for more information regarding various business filing issues.
  • Review your records and ensure all returns are filed timely.

Frequently asked questions

If your business hasn't filed tax returns, a notice is mailed for each tax form and tax period the IRS shows as delinquent.

When you apply for an EIN, filing requirements are established for specific types of returns to be filed (e.g. Form 940, Employer's Annual Federal Unemployment Tax ReturnPDF; Form 941, Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax ReturnPDF; Form 1120, U.S. Corporation Income Tax ReturnPDF, etc.). When the return is not filed, the IRS considers it to be delinquent and sends a notice requesting the return be filed.

If you had no employees or business activity during a tax period you’re not required to file a return for that tax period. You still need to respond to this notice. If you made federal tax deposits or other payments or credits for the tax period, you must file a signed return showing the payments to get a refund.

You can request a payment plan with us when you can't pay the full amount you owe.

Helpful information

Tips for next time you file

File all required returns by the appropriate due date.

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases, you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.

Need help?