IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Understanding your CP42 Notice

The amount of your refund has changed because we used it to pay your
spouse's past due tax debt.

What you need to do

  • Read your notice carefully — it'll explain how we used your refund and how much of it is left.
  • Contact us if you disagree.

You may want to...

Answers to Common Questions

What should I do if I disagree with the notice?
Call us at the toll free number on the top right corner of your notice. Please have your paperwork (such as cancelled checks, amended return, etc.) ready when you call.

Part of the refund you used is mine. You used it to pay taxes my spouse owes. I don't owe any taxes. What can I do?
You can file a Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation to claim your share of the refund.

What happens to the part of my refund you didn't use?
You'll receive a refund check for any part we didn't use.

Tips for next year

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

Tax publications you may find useful

How to get help

Calling the 1-800 number listed on the top right corner of your notice is the fastest way to get your questions answered.

You can also authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using this Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (Form 2848).

Or you may qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 03-Mar-2016