Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Understanding your CP49 Notice


We sent you this notice to tell you we used all or part of your refund to pay a tax debt.

What you need to do

  • Read your notice carefully — it'll explain how we used your refund.
  • Contact us if you disagree.

You may want to

Answers to common questions

What should I do if I disagree with the notice?

Call us at the toll free number on the top right corner of your notice. Please have your paperwork (such as cancelled checks, amended return, etc.) ready when you call.

Part of the refund you used is mine. You used it to pay taxes my spouse owes. I don't owe any taxes. What can I do?

You can file a Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation (PDF) to claim your share of the refund.

You only used part of my refund. What happens to the part you didn't use?

You'll receive a refund check for any part we didn't use.

What happens when the refund you used didn't pay the full amount I owe and I can't pay the rest?

You can make a payment plan with us when you can't pay the full amount you owe.

How can I make a payment plan?

Call us at the toll free number on the top right corner of your notice to talk about payment plans or learn more about them.

Tips for next year

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

How to get help