Information For...

For you and your family
Individuals abroad and more
EINs and other information

Filing For Individuals

Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Single and Joint Filers With No Dependents
Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate


Request for Transcript of Tax Returns
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Installment Agreement Request
Wage and Tax Statement

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Understanding Your CP501H Notice

You have a balance due (money you owe the IRS) on your shared responsibility payment account.

What you need to do

  • Read your notice carefully ― it explains your due date, amount due, and payment options.
  • Make your payment by your due date. Go to the payments page to find out more about your payment options.

You may want to...

Answers to Common Questions


What is the shared responsibility payment?
The shared responsibility payment (SRP) amount that you owe is the assessed payment for not having minimum essential health coverage for you and, if applicable, your dependents per Internal Revenue Code Section 5000A - Individual shared responsibility payment.

What should I do if I disagree with the changes you made?
If you disagree, contact us immediately at the toll-free number on the top right corner of your notice.

What happens if I can't pay the full amount I owe now?
See if you may be able to set up a payment plan through our Online Payment Agreement Application.

Am I charged interest on the money I owe?
Yes. Interest will continue to be added if you don’t pay the full amount you owe by the date on the payment coupon. See the Interest explanation section of your notice.

Will I receive a penalty if I can't pay the full amount?
No. The law prohibits the IRS from using liens or levies to collect any individual shared responsibility payment. However, if you owe a shared responsibility payment, the IRS may offset that liability against any tax refund that may be due to you.

What if I need to make a correction to my tax return?
You'll need to file Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

Tips for next year

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.

Printable samples of this notice (.pdf)

How to get help