Understanding your CP503 Notice
We have not heard from you and you still have an unpaid balance on one of your tax accounts.
What you need to do
- Read your notice carefully — it explains your due date, amount due, and payment options.
- Make your payment by your due date. Go to the payments page to find out more about your payment options.
You may want to...
- Download additional information pertaining to your tax account.
- Download copies of the following materials that may be helpful:
- Call 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676) to have forms and publications mailed to you.
- Complete and send us a Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative to authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact us on your behalf.
Answers to Common Questions
What is the notice telling me?
This notice is another reminder that you still owe a balance on one of your tax accounts. You are getting this notice because we have not received your payment or response to previous notice(s) requesting you pay this balance.
What do I have to do?
Pay the amount due shown on the notice. Mail us your payment in the envelope we sent you. Include the bottom part of the notice to make sure we correctly credit your account.
If you can't pay the whole amount now, call us at the number printed at the top of the notice to see if you qualify for an installment agreement.
How much time do I have?
You should pay the entire balance within 10 days of the date of the notice or additional penalty and interest will be added.
What happens if I don't pay?
We may file a Notice of Federal Tax Lien that gives us legal claim to your property as security or payment for your tax debt. We will also look for other assets you may own.
Who should I contact?
If you have any questions about the notice, call us at the number printed at the top of the notice. A customer service representative will assist you.
What if I don't agree or have already taken corrective action?
If you do not agree with this notice, call us immediately at the number printed at the top of the notice. We will do our best to help you.