Understanding Your CP503H Notice

You still have an unpaid balance on your shared responsibility payment account.

What you need to do

  • Read your notice carefully. It explains your due date, amount due, and payment options.
  • Make your payment by your due date. Go to the payments page to find out more about your payment options.
  • You may want to view additional information pertaining to your tax account.

Answers to common questions

What is the shared responsibility payment (SRP)?
The SRP amount that you owe is the assessed payment for not having minimum essential health coverage for you and, if applicable, your dependents per Internal Revenue Code Section 5000A - Individual shared responsibility payment.

What is the notice telling me?
This notice is another reminder that you still owe a balance on your SRP account. You're getting this notice because we haven't received your payment or response to previous notices requesting you pay this balance.

What do I have to do?
Pay the amount due shown on the notice. Mail us your payment in the envelope we sent you. Include the bottom part of the notice to make sure we correctly credit your account.

You can apply online for a payment plan (including installment agreements).

Will I receive a penalty if I can't pay the full amount?
No. The law prohibits us from using liens or levies to collect any individual SRP. However, if you owe an SRP, we may offset that liability against any tax refund that may be due to you.

How much time do I have?
You should pay the entire balance within 10 days of the date of the notice or additional interest will be added.

What if I have questions, don't agree, or have already taken corrective action?
Contact us at the toll-free number on the top right corner of your notice.

Tips for next year

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

Need Help?

  • You can authorize someone to contact the IRS on your behalf.
  • See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.
  • If you can’t find what you need online, you can call the IRS at the 800, 866, or 888 number listed on the notice.