Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Understanding Your CP516 Notice

This notice reminds you that we still have no record that you filed your prior tax return or returns.

What you need to do

  • File your tax return immediately or explain to us why you do not need to file.
  • Use the response form on your notice to explain:
    • Why you are filing late.
    • Why you do not have to file.
    • That you have already filed.

You may want to

Answers to common questions

What should I do if I disagree with the notice?
Call us at the toll-free number on the top right corner of your notice. Please have your paperwork ready when you call. If you prefer, you can write to us using the notice's response form. Enclose it in the envelope we provided.

What should I do if I've just filed my tax return?
You do not have to do anything if you filed your tax return within the last 8 weeks.

What should I do if I did not file my tax return or it has been more than 8 weeks since I filed it?
Complete the response form from your notice. Check the name, Social Security number, and tax year on your notice. Make sure they match the name, number, and year on the return. Then mail us a signed and dated copy of the tax return with the response form.

What happens if I cannot pay the full amount I owe when I file my return?
You can request a payment plan with us when you cannot pay the full amount you owe.

What if I need copies of income information the IRS received for me?
You can get copies by requesting them online on the Get Transcript website.

What if I want to file prior year returns electronically?
We accept prior year returns electronically for the 2 most recent prior years. However, you must locate an e-file provider who offers the service to do so.

Tips for next year

  • File your return on time. Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.
  • If you have dependent children, you may be able to claim a tax credit for them. Publication 972, Child Tax Credit (PDF), has information about this credit.

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

How to get help