Understanding Your CP518 Business Notice

What this notice is about

This is a final reminder notice that we still have no record that you filed your prior tax returns.

What you need to do

  • File your tax return immediately or explain to us why you don't need to file.
  • If eligible, file your return electronically with all required schedules, using your e-file provider, or
  • File a paper return with all required schedules using the enclosed envelope or fax it to 855-800-5944 using a fax machine or online fax service. NOTE: Several online fax services use the internet to send files from your computer or smart device to a fax number.
  • Complete the Response form enclosed with your notice and mail it to us, using the enclosed envelope or fax it to 855-800-5944:
    • Use the response form on your notice to explain:
      • why you're filing late.
      • why you don’t have to file.
      • if you already filed and it's been more than four weeks, or if you used a different name or employer ID number (EIN) than shown on the notice when filing.
      • if you filed within the last four weeks using the same name and EIN shown on the notice, you may disregard this notice.

If we don't hear from you

  • We may determine your tax for you, and penalty and interest can continue to accrue.
  • If you're owed a refund for the current tax year, or any prior year, it may be delayed because of this unfiled return.

You may want to

Frequently asked questions

Call us at the toll-free number on the top right corner of your notice. Have your paperwork ready when you call. If you prefer, you can write to us using the notice's response form. Enclose it in the envelope we've provided.

You don't have to do anything if you filed your tax return within the last 8 weeks.

Complete the response form from your notice. Check the name, social security number, and tax year on your notice. Make sure they match the name, number, and year on the return. Mail us a copy of the tax return. Sign, date it, and send it with the response form.

You can request a payment plan with us when you can't pay the full amount you owe.


Tips for next year

File your return on time. Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.

Helpful information

Need Help?