IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Understanding your CP565 Notice

We gave you an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

¿Desea ver la versión en español de esta página web?

Effective June 22, 2012, the IRS has made interim changes that affect the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) application process. Some of the information below, including the documentation requirements for individuals seeking an ITIN, has been superseded by these changes. Taxpayers and their representatives should review these changes, which are further explained in these Frequently Asked Questions, before requesting an ITIN.

What you need to do

  • Read your notice carefully. Make sure the name and date of birth we have on record for you is right.
  • You don't have to answer the notice.
  • Use your ITIN in place of a Social Security Number to file a federal tax return or a tax reporting document.

You may want to...

Answers to Common Questions

What is an ITIN?
It is a number for you to use on federal tax documents.

Who needs an ITIN?
A non-citizen who has to file a federal tax return or a tax reporting document and does not qualify for an SSN needs an ITIN.

Can I use an ITIN for identification?
No. It is only for tax purposes. It is not for non-tax purposes.

Can I use my ITIN like a Social Security number (SSN)?
You can use an ITIN like an SSN on federal tax documents. It doesn't, however, allow you to collect Social Security benefits. It doesn't change your immigration status.

Can I claim the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) when I file my tax return?
No, individuals filing a tax return with an ITIN can't claim the EITC.

What happens to my ITIN if I become a U.S. citizen?
You can get an SSN when you become a U.S. citizen.

What should I do if I get a Social Security number?
Use your SSN. Stop using your ITIN. Let us know you have an SSN so we can change our records. We will give you credit for taxes withheld under your old ITIN.

I sent you documents when I applied for an ITIN. When will you return them?
We will return your documents within 60 days from your notice's date. Call us at the number on your notice if you don't receive your documents by then.

Tips for next year

Use your ITIN and the name shown on your notice when you file your federal taxes next year. Do the same when you contact us by mail.

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

Tax publications you may find useful

How to get help

Calling the 1-800 number listed on the top right corner of your notice is the fastest way to get your questions answered.

You can also authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using this Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (Form 2848).

Or you may qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 24-Oct-2016