Understanding your letter 6115C

What this letter is about

Your tax return income doesn’t match the employer-reported income.

What you need to do

  • File an amended return if the information is correct,
  • Contact the business or person reporting the information and ask them to correct it.

Frequently asked questions

Do I have to amend my return if my employer reported income incorrectly?

No. Contact your employer to have them correct their information and they’ll send it to us. You don’t need to contact us.

How do I amend my return?

Report the difference or change on Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return PDF. Use the information in the letter. Compare it against a copy of your original return. You can get help filing at an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center.

Where can I get a copy of my original return to help me file an amended return?

The information is wrong because someone else used my name and Social Security number. What can I do?

Send us the following:

  • A copy of a valid U.S. federal or state government-issued form of identification (example: driver's license, state identification card, Social Security card, passport, etc.).
  • A copy of either a police report or a completed IRS Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit PDF.
  • A signed statement identifying each item you believe was affected by the possible identity theft.

You should also call the Federal Trade Commission Identity Theft Hotline at 877-438-4338 or visit their website for information about correcting your records.

You can find more information on the identity theft section of our website.

Will filing an amended return fix all issues with my return?

No. This letter is only to notify you of income discrepancy. If there are additional issues on your return, you may be subject to an audit and may be required to pay penalties and interest on any tax you owe. You should review your entire return and correct any issues or discrepancies with your amended return.

Need help?