Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Understanding your LT39 Notice

We’re required by law to remind you in writing about your overdue tax.

What you need to do

  • Pay the balance due within 10 days using the envelope provided.
  • If you’re already working with us to resolve the balance, no action is required.
  • If you’ve already paid the balance, call the telephone number listed on the letter.
  • If you can’t pay the balance due, call the telephone number listed on the letter.

You may want to

Call or write our office if you disagree with the amount due or have questions.

Answers to common questions

How much time do I have to respond?

To avoid enforcement action, contact us within 10 days from the date on the letter.

What if I can’t pay the balance in full?

You can contact our office and arrange for an installment agreement.

What happens if I don’t respond to this letter or don’t pay?

We may take enforced collection action to collect the amount including the filing of a Notice of Federal Tax Lien, or garnishment of your wages or other income sources or bank accounts. A lien is a public notice to your creditors that the government has a right to your interests in your current assets and any assets you acquire after we file the lien. It can affect your ability to get credit.

If the amount you owe includes a shared responsibility payment, the law prohibits us from using liens or levies to collect that portion of your liability.

What if I don’t agree or have already taken corrective action?

If you don’t agree with this letter, call us immediately at the number listed at the top of the letter. If you’ve already paid or arranged for an installment agreement, you should still call us to make sure your account reflects this.

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

How to get help