The health and safety of IRS employees and taxpayers is of the utmost importance. As the COVID-19 national emergency develops, this page will be updated with information and instructions for IRS employees if they are unable to access the agency intranet.
The IRS is following guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Office of Personnel Management. Employees are encouraged to visit these sites to get updated information. Also please check city/county public health departments for latest local information on COVID-19.
As in any emergency situation, for information on local office closures, IRS employees should call the 24/7 Emergency Hotline at 866-743-5748, select option 3 and then follow the prompts. For TTY access (Federal Relay Service), call 800-877-8339.
COVID-19 Screening Tool
To help protect taxpayers and employees, the COVID-19 Screening Tool is available for people to self-screen for symptoms relative to the novel Coronavirus. This tool is for optional use by IRS employees, taxpayers, tax professionals and others prior to entering an IRS facility. The IRS is committed to protecting against further spread of COVID-19, and we encourage people to use this self-screening tool prior to visiting IRS facilities.
Reporting COVID-19 instances
If you are the manager of an employee with a confirmed or suspected infectious or communicable disease, please report it through the Situational Awareness Management Center (SAMC) by telephone: 866-216-4809 or email: email@example.com. If you are an affected employee and wish to report a confirmed or suspected infectious disease, please contact your manager, do not report it through SAMC.
- A message from the Commissioner — IRS reopening continues
- A message from the Commissioner — Next Steps
- A message from the Commissioner — Memorial Day remembrance
- A message from the Commissioner — Taking steps to increase operations
- A message from the Commissioner — Thank you for the good you do
- A message from the Commissioner — Update on IRS Operations, Economic Impact Payments
- Human Capital employee message — Employee work status and operations update (PDF)
- Human Capital employee message — Face coverings to be required in IRS facilities and workspaces (PDF)
- A message from the Commissioner — Economic Impact Payments: IRS helping 150 million Americans one payment at a time
- A message from the Commissioner — We are in this together
- A message from the Human Capital Officer — Expanded maxiflex flexible work schedule for COVID-19
- A message from the Commissioner — Rising to the challenge
- A message from the Human Capital Officer — New work at home directive begins March 30
- A message from the Commissioner — Protecting You; Protecting the Nation: New Steps to Safeguard Employees
Helpful resources and employee support
- Fresno Submission Processing Consolidation Update
- Employee Assistance Program info
As a reminder, the Employee Assistance Program is available for all IRS employees and their immediate family members at any time, day or night, by calling 800-977-7631 (TDD: 800-697-0353). This no-cost counseling service could help address stress and other issues you and your family may face.
- IRS.gov - Coronavirus Tax Relief
- Treasury - Coronavirus: Resources, Updates, and What You Should Know
- Travel.State.Gov - Emergency Notification – Emergency Alert: Novel Coronavirus
- CDC - Coronavirus Disease 2019 Information for Travel
- CDC - Pandemic Preparedness Resources