IRS Special Edition Tax Tip 2014-12, May 8, 2014
Do you own or run a business? If so, do you know the IRS offers special tax help just for you? For example, the IRS will host two free live webinars to mark National Small Business Week, May 12 – 16. In addition, you can get many products and services for small businesses throughout the year on IRS.gov.
Here are some details about the free webinars:
Tues. May 13: “Payments to Independent Contractors.” Topics include:
- Payments to Independent Contractors
- Form 1099 filing requirements
- Backup withholding and how to avoid being liable for it
- CP 2100 Notices for payee name and TIN mismatches
Thurs. May 15: "Avoiding the Biggest Tax Mistakes." Topics include:
- Learn about the biggest tax mistakes and how to avoid them
- How to detect common tax schemes and unscrupulous tax preparers
The popular events will start at 2 p.m. (ET) and will run for one hour. Both will offer live Q&A sessions with IRS experts. To register and to find out more visit the Webinars for Small Businesses page on IRS.gov.
The IRS offers many tools and services for you to use on IRS.gov. They can help you comply with the tax laws and avoid tax problems. Here are three pages that you can check out 24/7:
- The Small Business and Self-Employed Tax Center is your complete tax resource. For example, you can link to a list of free workshops and events offered in your area. Or visit the IRS Video Portal to watch videos on a wide range of topics, including prior live webinars.
- The Self-Employed Individuals Tax Center is for sole proprietors and others who are in business for themselves. This site has many useful tips and references to the tax rules that a self-employed person may need to know.
- The Online Learning and Educational Products page has tools that can help you learn about taxes on your own time, and at your own pace. For example, the IRS Tax Calendar for Businesses and Self-Employed has important tax dates for your business. You can download the CalendarConnector tool and get the dates on your desktop, even when you're offline.
Visit IRS.gov to get small business forms and publications. You can also call 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676) to get them by mail.
IRS YouTube Videos:
- IRS Online Tax Calendar – English | Spanish | ASL (obsolete)