IRS Summertime Tax Tip 2014-25, August 29, 2014
Did you know there’s a free, online program to help teachers and students – or others who may be interested – learn the “hows” and “whys” of taxes? The IRS calls it “Understanding Taxes.” It was designed by the IRS and teachers to make learning about federal taxes as easy as A-B-C.
- Accessible (web-based)
- Brings learning to life
Here are six more reasons to check out the Understanding Taxes program:
- There are thirty-nine lessons available 24/7 on IRS.gov. The program helps you learn with lessons that are easy, relevant and fun.
- The site map is user friendly. You can quickly look through the program and skip to the part you want.
- A series of tax tutorials guide you through the basics of tax preparation. Another feature is a chance to test your knowledge through tax trivia. There’s also a glossary of tax terms.
- If you’re a teacher, you can customize the interactive program to fit your own style. You can use your own lesson plans and plan your own activities. It’s easy to add to your school’s curriculum.
- You don’t need to register or login to use the program. You can take a break and return to where you left off whenever you choose. Just take note of the page and lesson number before you leave the page.
- The program is a great way to learn about the history and theory of taxes in the USA.
You can use the program anytime during the year. Just visit IRS.gov and type “Understanding Taxes” in the search box. The IRS usually updates the content each fall so that it reflects current tax law and tax forms.
IRS YouTube Videos: