IRS Summertime Tax Tip 2011-05, July 15, 2011
The IRS Web site – www.irs.gov – makes it easy to get answers to your tax questions all year round. The site is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can also download forms and publications and even check the status of your refund. The IRS Web site has a wealth of information.
Here are six reasons to visit IRS.gov this summer.
- The latest news Get up-to-date information on new tax law changes. Several new laws are enacted almost every year and usually there are provisions that affect almost every taxpayer.
- Easy-to-use tools Use the Interactive Tax Assistant (ITA) – a tool that asks a series of questions to provide answers to your tax law issues. The ITA tool covers a number of tax topics and does not require any sensitive information such as Social Security numbers.
- Withholding Calculator Calculate the right amount of withholding allowances on your W-4. The IRS Withholding Calculator can ensure you don’t have too much or too little income tax withheld from your pay.
- Check out a charity Search for charities in Publication 78, Cumulative List of Organizations, to find out if an organization is exempt from federal taxation and, if so, how much of your contributions to that organization are tax deductible.
- Career opportunities Get information about careers at the IRS. No matter what your professional specialty, the IRS can offer you a variety of full-time career or seasonal job opportunities.
- Forms and publications You can view, download and order tax forms and publications at any hour.
For the genuine IRS Web site be sure to use .gov. Don't be confused by internet sites that end in .com, .net, .org or other designations instead of .gov. The address of the official IRS governmental Web site is www.irs.gov.
- Publication 78, Cumulative List of Organizations (PDF)
- W-4, Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate (PDF)
All About IRS.gov English | Spanish | ASL (Obsoleted)