Pay by Check or Money Order

If you choose to mail your tax payment:

  • Make your check, money order or cashier's check payable to U.S. Treasury.
    • Please note: Do not send cash through the mail. If you prefer cash payment, see "More Information" below.
  • Enter the amount using all numbers ($###.##).
  • Do not use staples or paper clips to affix your payment to your voucher or return.
  • Make sure your check or money order includes the following information:
    • Your name and address
    • Daytime phone number
    • Social Security number (the SSN shown first if it's a joint return) or employer identification number
    • Tax year
    • Related tax form or notice number
  • Mail your payment to the address listed on the notice or instructions, or consult the table below.
What is your payment situation?
Paying and filing Refer to your form instructions, or find the correct address by state or by form
Received a notice Follow the payment instructions on the notice you received
Paying only (already filed)

Individuals: Find where to send balance due payments

Businesses: Procedures may vary for different types of tax. Learn more

Paying an installment Follow the instructions on your notice, or find where to send balance due payments

Notice to Taxpayers Presenting Checks:

When you provide a check as payment, you authorize us either to use information from your check to make a one-time electronic fund transfer from your account or to process the payment as a check transaction. When we use information from your check to make an electronic fund transfer, funds may be withdrawn from your account as soon as the same day we receive your payment, and you will not receive your check back from your financial institution.

Larger payments

We can't accept single check or money order amounts of $100 million or more. You can submit multiple payments or make a same-day wire payment.

More information