Topic no. 156, How to get a transcript or copy of your tax return

Transcript of your tax return

The IRS offers various transcript types free of charge.

Get Your Tax Record describes the various types of transcripts available and how to get them online or by mail. Get Transcript Online is the fastest and easiest method to get a transcript.

All transcript types are also available by mail, by submitting Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return. Additionally, Form 4506-T-EZ, Short Form Request for Individual Tax Return Transcript can be used to request just a tax return transcript.

The tax return and account transcripts are also available by mail or by calling 800-908-9946 and following the prompts.

Copy of your tax return

To get a complete copy of a previously filed tax return, along with all attachments (including Form W-2), submit Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return. Refer to the form for instructions and for the processing fee.

If you're a taxpayer impacted by a federally declared disaster, the IRS waives the usual fees and expedites requests for copies of tax returns for people who need them to apply for disaster-related benefits or to file amended returns claiming disaster-related losses; see Publication 3067, IRS Disaster Assistance – Federally Declared Disaster AreaPDF. For additional information about tax relief in disaster situations, refer to Topic no. 107 or call the IRS Disaster Assistance Hotline at 866-562-5227.

To request a copy of a fraudulent tax return, when someone else used your name and social security number as a primary or secondary filer to file the return without your permission, use Form 4506-F, Identity Theft Victims Request for Copy of Fraudulent Tax ReturnPDF. For more information, see the instructions in Form 4506-F and Instructions for Requesting Copy of Fraudulent Returns.