Deductible Taxes at a Glance
You may be able to deduct four kinds of non-business taxes if you itemize deductions using Form 1040, Schedule A, Itemized Deductions (PDF):
- state, local and foreign income taxes;
- state, local and foreign real estate taxes;
- state and local personal property taxes; and
- state and local general sales taxes.
You CANNOT deduct BOTH general sales taxes and income taxes but must choose one or the other.
You CANNOT deduct:
- federal income taxes;
- Social Security taxes;
- transfer taxes on the sale of property;
- homeowner's association fees;
- estate and inheritance taxes;
- service charges for water, sewer, or trash collection; or
- foreign income taxes if a foreign tax credit is claimed to any extent for the year.