Circular 230 attorneys, certified public accountants and enrolled agents are eligible to access the e-Services Transcript Delivery System (TDS) even if you’re not an Electronic Return Originator (ERO). To do so, you must complete an on-line IRS e-file application and pass the same suitability check required of EROs.,
If you are completing the e-file application solely to attain e-Services TDS access, please follow the instructions detailed below.
Circular 230 e-file Application Instructions
Step 1: e-Services Secure Access Registration
Skip this step if you've already created a Secure Access account for e-Services. Otherwise, e-Services users must create an account to verify their identities. These accounts are protected by a two-factor authentication process called Secure Access. You must complete a Secure Access account and select a username, password and signature PIN before you can complete the e-file application. You will need to pass various identity proofing stages, including questions to confirm your email, tax return information, financial account information and mobile phone confirmation. Before starting the identity proofing process, you should review Secure Access: How to Register for Certain Online Self-Help Tools to learn what you will need to complete the process and how the process will work. You should also review FAQs: e-Services and Secure Access.
Step 2: Access the e-file Application
Once you have signed in, the system will take you to the External Services Authorization Management page. Select New Application and then e-file Application from the drop down.
Step 3: Firm Information
- Choose Sole-Proprietorship as the Business Type when completing the e-file application for the sole purpose of obtaining authorization to access e-Services.
- Enter your SSN or your sole-prop EIN along with your first and last name.
- It is not necessary to enter a Doing Business As (DBA) name but you can create one if you like.
- Enter the required address and telephone information for your place of business or home. Indicate whether we should use this address to send you any mail related to the e-file Application.
- Answer the question about providing services year-round.
- Check the ‘No’ box for the question: ‘Do you want your firm/organization's contact information posted on the irs.gov public website?’.
- Click ‘Continue’.
Step 4 – Authorized Users
- Select 'Add' and then 'Principal' and enter information in all required fields for yourself as principal.
- Check “Add this person as a Responsible Official and "Add this person as a Primary Contact.”. Click ‘Save’ to continue.
- Your information from the Principal’s screen is automatically populated as the Responsible Official.
- Don’t enter an Alternate Contact.
- You are not entitled to authorize any Delegated Users unless you are an e-file participant filing five or more returns.
- Click ‘Continue’.
Step 5 - Application Details
- Click ‘Add Provider Option’ to choose ‘Electronic Return Originator’,
- Choose ‘For-Profit’ as your business activity.
- Click ‘Continue’.
Step 6 - Application Summary
Verify that all information on this screen is correct. If any information is incorrect, use the tabs along the top of the screen to update the necessary information. After verifying information is correct, complete the Firm Suitability Question and enter your Personal Information.
- Firm Suitability Questions: Select ‘Update Firm Suitability Answers’ on the ‘Application Summary’ (at the bottom of Firm Information), answer the two questions and click ‘Save’.
- Personal Credentials: Complete the ‘Professional Credentials’ by selecting ‘Add Credential’ then selecting the type of credential that you are entering and complete the required fields.
- Personal Suitability Answers and TOA Signature: Select ‘Personal Suitability Answers and TOA Signature’, completed the required fields, sign using your e-Services PIN and click ‘Save’.
Step 7 – Application Comments
Click on the ‘Add Comments’ button and enter the following: ‘Circular 230 applying to obtain e-Services access’. This will not affect your ability to participate in IRS e-file should you choose to do so in the future. Click ‘Continue’.
Step 8 - Application Submission
- Enter your registration PIN to sign the application.
- Click ‘Submit’ and we will begin processing your application. A tracking number is generated upon the initial save of the application. This number is available on the summary screen.
Step 9 - Completion
Upon completion of your application, we’ll send you an e-file acceptance letter containing your EFIN. When you receive this letter, contact the e-help desk at 866-255-0654 to have transcript delivery services turned on. You won’t need to use this EFIN unless you decide to provide e-file services at some time in the future.
Step 10 - e-Services Access
Upon receipt of the e-mail or acceptance letter, go to the e-Services page on irs.gov > select Transcript Delivery System (TDS) and then ‘Access TDS’. Login to TDS and choose the organization name you used to apply. Once you’re in the system, complete the required fields to request a transcript.
Remember: you must have a valid Form 2848, Power of Attorney, or Form 8821, Taxpayer Information Authorization, on file for the specific taxpayer, form and tax period you are referencing in your transcript request.
Contact the e-help desk at 866-255-0654 if you need further assistance. International callers must dial 512-416-7750.