Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Identity Verification Service

You're visiting this service because you received an IRS 5071C letter. If you haven't received a 5071C letter or you have other questions about your tax return, continue on to the IRS homepage.

Identity thieves have become more adept at impersonating taxpayers. For your protection, the IRS is asking you for important information and documentation. We'll ask about your identity and tax return history, because we need this information so we can process your tax return accurately. This helps prevent an identity thief from getting a refund using your tax account.

What You Need to Do

If you didn't file

  • continue with our secure identity verification service by clicking the Get Started button
  • you can opt-out of the process at any time and contact us using the toll-free number listed on your 5071C letter

If you did file

  • contact us using the toll-free number listed on your 5071C letter
  • to expedite the process when calling, you MUST have the following:
    • the 5071C letter and the tax return for the year shown in the letter
    • any prior year tax return
    • and any supporting W-2’s, 1099’s, Schedule C, Schedule F, etc.
  • if we are unable to verify your identity over the phone, we may ask you to schedule an appointment at your local IRS office to verify your identity in person

Get Started

Alternatives to the Identity Verification Service

If you are unable to register for this online service, please contact us using the toll-free number listed on your 5071C letter.