IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Get Transcript FAQs


Get Transcript Online FAQs

The following FAQs address specific questions about our Get Transcript Online service. You'll find FAQs common to both Get Transcript Online or by Mail beginning with Q12 below. 

Q1. What information do I need to verify my identity and use Get Transcript Online?

For information about what you need to successfully verify your identity, please see Secure Access: How to Register for Certain Online Self-Help Tools.

If you previously registered to use IRS Get Transcript Online, View Your Tax Account, Get an Identity Protection PIN, Online Payment Agreement, or ePostcard online services, log in with the same username and password you chose before. You'll need to provide a financial account number and mobile phone number if you haven't already done so. 

We verify your financial account number and mobile phone number with Equifax, a credit-reporting agency.

NOTE: If you have a credit security freeze with Equifax, you must request a temporary freeze lift until you’ve successfully registered or we won't be able to verify your identity.

Q2. What if I don’t receive the email confirmation code?

Be sure the email address you provided is correct. Then, click on your email provider’s send/receive or sync button. Lastly, check your junk/spam folder. If you didn’t receive a confirmation code, you need to cancel and re-enter your email address to request another confirmation code.

Q3. How do I get a transcript online?

Upon successful registration, we give you the option to “continue” and use Get Transcript Online. We’ll ask you the reason you need a transcript to help you determine which type may be best for you. Get Transcript Online provides access to all transcript types and available years for you to view, print, or download from your browser.  If we don’t list the transcript and tax year you need, you must use Form 4506-T instead. Refer to "What if I’m unable to verify my identity and use Get Transcript Online" below.

You may also log in with your username and password any time after you’ve registered by clicking on the Get Transcript Online button. If you verified an account number and your mobile phone number before, we’ll simply text you a security code to enter and you can immediately proceed to get a transcript.

Q4. Can I use Get Transcript Online as a guest user?

No, you must register and verify your identity to use Get Transcript Online. Once registered, you’ll need your username, password and the security code we text you each time to log in and get a transcript online.

Q5. What if I can’t verify my identity and use Get Transcript Online?

Refer to Transcript Types and Ways to Order Them for alternatives to Get Transcript Online. You may also call our automated phone transcript service at 800-908-9946 to order a tax return or tax account transcript be sent by mail. Please allow 5 to 10 calendar days from the time we receive your request for your transcript to arrive.

Note: If you requested a credit security freeze with Equifax, you may request a temporary freeze lift so you can continue to register. This won’t guarantee your successful registration so you may want to try another way to order the transcript you need. Be sure to contact Equifax to resume the freeze unless you scheduled it to resume automatically.

Q6. I got a message that says the information I provided does not match what’s in the IRS systems. What should I do now?

Verify all the information you entered is correct. It must match what’s in our systems. Be sure to use the exact address and filing status from your latest tax return. If you are still receiving the message, you'll need to use the Get Transcript by Mail option or submit a Form 4506-T to the IRS at the address or fax number provided in the instructions.

Q7. I forgot my username, how do I retrieve it?

If you’ve forgotten your username, click the “Forgot Username” link on the login page. Then enter the email address you used when you registered before along with the last four digits of your SSN. We’ll email you your username. If you can't remember or access the email address you originally provided, you must re-register.

Q8. What do I do if my password doesn’t work or I forgot it?

If you can’t remember your password, click the “Forgot Password” link on the login page. You’ll need to provide your birthdate. Then we'll send a temporary password to your email address so you can log in. We require you to choose a new password.

If you entered the wrong password and you’re locked out, you must wait at least 24 hours before trying again. Remember that passwords are case sensitive.

Q9. What should I do if I receive a “Technical Difficulties” or “Application Unavailable” message?

These messages usually mean we’re having temporary connectivity issues. If you receive one of these messages, please wait a few minutes and try again. We’ll put an alert on the Get Transcript home page if the application is unavailable for an extended time period.

Q10. What do I do if I’m unable to view my transcript when I click on an available tax year?

Make sure you have turned off pop-up blockers in your browser’s settings. If you are still unable to view or print your transcript, you may need to use Get Transcript by Mail or Form 4506-T. Refer to Transcript Types and Ways to Order Them for options.

Q11. Can a taxpayer or practitioner with a Power of Attorney use Get Transcript Online to request a transcript for another taxpayer?

No. You may submit Form 4506-T by following the instructions on the form. Practitioners can use e-Services Transcript Delivery System if their power of attorney already exists in the IRS Centralized Authorization File. 

Get Transcript Online or by Mail FAQs

The following FAQs address questions you may have that apply to both Get Transcript Online and by Mail. 

Q12. Can I request a transcript if I filed jointly with my spouse and my name and SSN was listed second on our tax return?

A secondary taxpayer may request any transcript type using Get Transcript Online. However, when using Get Transcript by Mail or requesting a transcript over the phone, the secondary taxpayer is limited to the “Account Transcript” type. Use Form 4506-T if you need a different transcript type and can’t use Get Transcript Online. 

Q13. How long must I wait before a transcript is available for my current year tax return?

If you filed your tax return electronically, it takes from 2 to 4 weeks before a transcript becomes available. If you mailed your tax return, it takes about 6 weeks. If you didn’t pay all the tax you owe, your transcript may not be available until mid-May or a week after you pay the full amount owed. Refer to transcript availability for more information. 

Note: If you made estimated tax payments and/or applied your overpayment from a prior year tax return to your current year tax return, you can request a tax account transcript to confirm these payments a few weeks after the beginning of the calendar year prior to filing your current year return.

Q14. Can I use Get Transcript if I’m a victim of Identity Theft?

Yes, you can still access Get Transcript online or by mail. If we’re unable to process your request due to identity theft, you’ll receive an online message or a letter if using the mail option that provides specific instructions to request a transcript. You may also want to visit our Identity Protection page for more information.

Q15. How do I request a transcript for an older tax year when it’s not available online?

Tax return and record of account transcripts are only available for the current tax year and three prior tax years when using Get Transcript Online. Note: There is a “show all +” expand button below the online tax account transcript type that may provide additional tax years you need. Otherwise, you must submit Form 4506-T to request a transcript for a tax year not available.

Tax return and tax account transcripts are also limited to the current and prior three tax years when using Get Transcript by Mail. However, you may be able to get older tax account transcripts by calling our automated phone transcript service at 800-908-9946. Otherwise, you must submit Form 4506-T.

Q16. My transcript information doesn’t appear to be correct. What should I do?

In some cases, we may have changed the reported figures on the original return you filed due to input errors or incomplete or missing information. If we changed the figures on your return during processing, a tax return transcript will show your original figures, labeled “per return,” and the corrected figures labeled “per computer.” It won’t show amendments or adjustments made to the account after the original return has posted. If you filed an amended return or we adjusted your account after it was processed, request a record of account transcript. If the transcript obtained doesn’t appear to be correct or contains unfamiliar information due to possible identity theft, call us at 800-829-1040.

Q17. Will ordering a transcript help me determine when I’ll get my refund?

No, a tax transcript won’t help you determine when you’ll get your refund. IRS transcripts are best and most often used to validate past income and tax filing status for mortgage, student and small business loan applications and to help with tax preparation.

The best way to check on your refund is by visiting Where's My Refund?. The codes listed on tax transcripts don’t provide any early insight regarding when we’ll issue your refund.

Q18. Are there foreign language versions of the Get Transcript Online and Get Transcript by Mail tools?

Only the “Get Transcript by Mail” application is available in Spanish through Ordenar Transcripción. However, we’ve translated the Get Transcript home page into five foreign languages to help users before they try to verify their identity and use Get Transcript Online, which is available only in English.

Q19. What if I’m unable to use Get Transcript by Mail?

If you are unable to use Get Transcript by Mail, you may try our automated phone transcript service at 800-908-9946 and also receive your transcript by mail. Please allow 5 to 10 calendar days for delivery.

Q20. What if my address changed since I filed my last tax return and it doesn’t match IRS records when I use Get Transcript by Mail or the automated phone transcript service at 800-908-9946?

Don’t use your old address. The transcript won’t get forwarded to you. You need to file Form 8822, Change of Address, before you submit Form 4506-T or Form 4506T-EZ. Generally, it takes four to six weeks to process a change of address.

Back to Get Transcript

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 17-Mar-2017