Request Deceased Person’s Information


As an estate administrator, executor, or personal representative of a deceased person, you may need to request information from the IRS.

What You Can Request

You can request the deceased person's:

To complete these actions, you must show proof that you're authorized to manage the deceased person's affairs and their estate.

How to Make a Request

Submit the following with your information request as proof that you're authorized to receive deceased person's information:

  • The full name of the deceased, their last address and Social Security Number
  • A copy of the death certificate
  • Either:

Letters of Testamentary

Letters of Testamentary, also called Letters of Administration or Letters of Representation, is a document issued by the probate court. The document grants the authority to an estate administrator, executor or personal representative to manage the deceased taxpayer's affairs and estate.

Tax Return

For a copy of the deceased person's tax return, submit Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return. There's a fee for each return you request.

Tax Transcript

You can get a free tax return transcript for many returns. A transcript shows most of the line entries from the original tax return and may provide income information from Forms W-2, 1099 or 1098, if you request it.

If you request a transcript online, it will be mailed to the deceased person's address of record.

To have the transcript mailed to you, submit Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return. See Form 4506-T for instructions on where to send your request.

Payoff Information

If the deceased person owes individual income taxes, you can request payoff information at your nearest Taxpayer Assistance Center or at paying your taxes.

Change of Address

You may need to change the deceased person's address of record to receive correspondence from us regarding the deceased and/or their estate.

To make a request,