Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Understanding Your CP08 Notice

What this notice is about

This notice says you may qualify for the Additional Child Tax Credit and be entitled to some additional money.

What you need to do

  • Read your notice carefully.
  • Complete the Additional Child Tax Credit Worksheet. If the worksheet confirms  you have at least one qualifying child, sign and date the worksheet, and complete Form 1040 Schedule 8812, Child Tax Credit (PDF).
  • Mail both the worksheet and Form 1040 Schedule 8812 in the envelope provided.

You may want to

  • Download copies of the materials we may have included with your notice

Answers to common questions

I lost the return envelope. Where do I mail my worksheet and Form 8812?
Mail the worksheet and form to the address listed on the top left corner of the worksheet. The IRS center listed handles cases in your region, so you must send it there to avoid potential delays in processing.

What is the difference between the Child Tax Credit and the Additional Child Tax Credit? Can I qualify for both?
The Child Tax Credit is for people with a qualifying child. The maximum amount you can claim is $1,000 for each qualifying child. The Additional Child Tax Credit is for individuals who receive less than the full amount of Child Tax Credit. You may qualify for both the Child Tax Credit and the Additional Child Tax Credit.

I sent you my worksheet and form. When will I get the refund?
We will review your form and worksheet and make a determination on your credit. If we deny your credit, we will send you a letter explaining why. However, if you owe no other amount, you should receive your refund in 8 to 10 weeks. If you don't hear from us after 8 to 10 weeks, call our "Where’s My Refund?" toll-free line at 800-829-1954 to check on the status of your refund.

My son or daughter turns 18 this year. Can I still get the Additional Child Tax Credit?
No. Your child must be under age 17 at the end of 2016 to qualify for both the Child Tax Credit and the Additional Child Tax Credit.

Tips for next year

If you have dependent children, remember to claim the Additional Child Tax Credit the next time your file your Form 1040 (PDF) or 1040A (PDF) tax return. To do this, complete a Form 1040A and attach Form 1040 Schedule 8812 to your return.

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions in which you may qualify. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

How to get help