What this notice is about
You may be eligible for the Earned Income Credit, but didn't claim it on your tax return.
What you need to do
- Read your notice carefully.
- Complete the Earned Income Credit Worksheet on page 3 of the notice.
If the worksheet confirms you’re eligible for the credit,
- Sign and date the worksheet.
- Mail the signed worksheet in the envelope provided with your notice.
- Do not return the worksheet to us.
You may want to
Answers to common questions
What is Earned Income Credit (EIC)?
The EIC is a credit for certain people who work and have earned income. The credit may give you a refund even if you do not owe any tax.
If I’m eligible for the credit, when will I receive my refund?
We’ll mail you a refund check in 6-8 weeks if you don’t owe tax or other debts we’re required to collect. If we deny the credit, we’ll send you a letter of explanation. If you don't hear from us after 8 weeks, you can call our toll-free line at 800-829-0922 to check the status.
Tips for next year
- Claim the credit if you are eligible.
- You can ask us to figure the earned income credit for you by writing "EIC" on the EIC line, complete Schedule EIC, and attach it to your return. If you qualify for the credit, we’ll calculate it for you.
- Write "NO" on the EIC line if you don't want or you don't qualify for the credit.
How to get help
- Call the 800, 866 or 888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
- Authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (PDF).
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.