IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Understanding your CP567 Notice

We rejected your application for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). You may not be eligible for an ITIN. Your documents may be invalid. We may not have received a reply when we asked for more information.

Effective June 22, 2012, the IRS has made interim changes that affect the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) application process. Some of the information below, including the documentation requirements for individuals seeking an ITIN, has been superseded by these changes. Taxpayers and their representatives should review these changes, which are further explained in these Frequently Asked Questions, before requesting an ITIN.

What you need to do

  • Read your notice to see why we rejected your application.
  • Make sure you don't qualify for a Social Security number (SSN) and you qualify for an ITIN.
  • Make sure your documents are correct.
  • Send us the information we've requested.
  • Send us a new application. Fill it out completely. Answer all the questions. Attach the correct documents. Attach copies of your tax return and paperwork to it.

You may want to...

Answers to Common Questions

What is an ITIN?
It is a number for you to use on federal tax documents.

Who needs an ITIN?
A non-citizen who has to file a federal tax return or a tax reporting document and does not qualify for an SSN needs an ITIN.

What happens to the tax return I sent with the application?
We'll process your return without an ITIN. You'll need to reapply for an ITIN and attach a copy of the return to your application to get a refund.

I sent you documents when I applied for an ITIN. When will you return them?
We will return your documents within 60 days from your notice's date. Call us at the number on your notice if you don't receive your documents by then.

Whom can I talk to about my rejection?
You can call the telephone number on the top right corner of the notice.

Do I need to file a new tax return when I reapply?
No. Just attach a copy of it to the application. Indicate it is a copy. Send the application with your paperwork to the address on the notice.

Do I always need to attach a copy of my tax return to my application?
No. Not if you meet one of five exceptions. Read Publication 1915, Understanding Your IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number ITIN to see if you meet an exception.

Tips for next year

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

Tax publications you may find useful

How to get help

Calling the 1-800 number listed on the top right corner of your notice is the fastest way to get your questions answered.

You can also authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using this Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (Form 2848).

Or you may qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 24-Oct-2016