We’re trying to collect unpaid taxes from you. In order to do so, we may contact others to get or verify your contact information.
What you need to do
- Pay the balance due.
- If you’ve already paid, call the telephone number listed on the letter.
- If you’re unable to pay the balance due, contact the telephone number listed on the letter.
You may want to
Call us to review your account at the number listed at the top of your letter.
Answers to common questions
What type of information will you provide to these third parties?
We’ll generally need to tell them limited information, such as your name. The law prevents us from disclosing any more information than is necessary to obtain or verify the information we need.
How long will you contact these third parties?
We may continue as long as there’s activity on your account.
How will I know who you contact?
We’ll send you a copy of the contact list once of year. If you don’t receive a list, it means we didn’t contact anyone who we’re required to advise you of.
How to get help
- Call the 800, 866 or 888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
- Authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (PDF)
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.