Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Active-Duty Reservists Get Relief on Retirement Plan Payments: Refunds of 10-Percent Tax Available Back to 2001, New Law Says

Notice: Historical Content

This is an archival or historical document and may not reflect current law, policies or procedures.

IR-2006-152, Sept. 28, 2006

WASHINGTON — Military reservists called to active duty can receive payments from their individual retirement accounts, 401(k) plans and 403(b) tax-sheltered annuities, without having to pay the early-distribution tax, according to the Internal Revenue Service.

The newly-enacted Pension Protection Act of 2006 eliminates the 10-percent early-distribution tax that normally applies to most retirement distributions received before age 59½. The new law provides this relief to reservists called to active duty for at least 180 days or for an indefinite period.

Eligible reservists activated after Sept. 11, 2001, and before Dec. 31, 2007, qualify for relief from this tax. This tax is often referred to as the 10-percent early-withdrawal penalty. Regular income taxes continue to apply to these payments in most cases.

Early distributions from both Roth and traditional IRAs received by a reservist while on active duty qualify for this relief. Likewise, a reservist’s elective contributions and earnings distributed to him or her by employer sponsored 401(k) plans and 403(b) tax-sheltered annuities also qualify for this relief.

Because this relief is retroactive, eligible reservists who already paid the 10-percent tax can claim a refund by using Form 1040X to amend their return for the year in which the retirement distribution was received. Eligible reservists should write the words, "active duty reservist," at the top of the form. In Part II Explanation of Changes, the reservist should write the date he or she was called to active duty, the amount of the retirement distribution and the amount of early-distribution tax paid.

Reservists can choose to re-contribute part or all of these distributions to an IRA. Ordinarily, these special contributions must be made within two years after the reservist's active-duty period ends. However, if the reservist's active duty ended before Aug. 17, 2006 (the date the new law was enacted), he or she will have until Aug. 17, 2008, to make these special contributions. No deduction is available for these contributions.

Subscribe to IRS Newswire