Avoid Today’s Rush: Use IRS.gov for Faster Service

Notice: Historical Content

This is an archival or historical document and may not reflect current law, policies or procedures.

IR-2017-40, Feb. 21, 2017

WASHINGTON — The Tuesday after Presidents Day marks the single busiest day of the year for telephone calls and visits to the Internal Revenue Service. Taxpayers can find answers faster to most of their questions by using IRS.gov.

The IRS anticipates a high volume of calls today. At peak times, the IRS expects to field thousands of calls per hour. Also, taxpayers are reminded that they need an appointment to visit a Taxpayer Assistance Center.

Whether calling about refunds due, taxes owed, a tax law question, requesting a tax form or inquiring about 2015 adjusted gross income, answers can be found at IRS.gov.

Where’s My Refund? has been updated for those refunds containing the Earned Income Tax Credit and the Additional Child Tax Credit that had been held by law. Barring other issues, taxpayers should see those refunds in their financial accounts beginning the week of Feb. 27.

Just a reminder that “Where’s My Refund?” is updated once daily so checking it multiple times per day will not produce new or different results. To use “Where’s My Refund?”, taxpayers need their Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, filing status (single, married filing jointly, etc.) and the exact amount of the refund claimed.

To review online options, visit IRS.gov/avoidtherush where there’s a list of frequent questions and links to other services.

Follow the IRS on Social Media
Subscribe to IRS Newswire