Economic Stimulus Payment Q&As: Armed Forces


Notice: Historical Content

This is an archival or historical document and may not reflect current law, policies or procedures.

Updated Oct. 28, 2008

Following are answers to questions regarding the economic stimulus payments. Scroll down the list for information pertaining to members of the armed forces or choose from one of the following categories:

  1. Eligibility
  2. When Will I Get the Payment?
  3. Did I Get the Right Amount?
  4. Amended Returns
  5. Change of Address
  6. Taxpayer Identification Numbers
  7. Direct Deposit
  8. Armed Forces
  9. Business
  10. Offsets, Taxpayers Outside the U.S. and Other Questions

Armed Forces

Q. How will members of the armed forces receive their stimulus payments?

A. Members of the armed forces need to file a 2007 income tax return to receive the stimulus payment.

Q. I have a Social Security Number, but my spouse has an ITIN. Can we get a payment?

A. Yes, if you are a member of the armed forces. You will get a payment in November.

Q. Will military personnel stationed in a combat zone get an automatic extension to file?

A. Combat zone personnel receive an automatic extension to file their returns.  However, if they wish to receive the economic stimulus payments in 2008, they must file their 2007 income tax returns in time for the IRS to process them before the end of the year. To ensure a stimulus payment is made this year, the return should have been filed no later than Oct. 15. If a return was not filed by that time or if it cannot be processed before the end of 2008, the payment can be claimed as a credit on the 2008 tax return that is filed in 2009.