Economic Stimulus Payments: Information for Recipients of Veterans' Benefits


Notice: Historical Content

This is an archival or historical document and may not reflect current law, policies or procedures.

Update April 2015 — For current mailing addresses, please see Where to File Paper Tax Returns - With or Without a Payment.
Updated July 18, 2008 — This section is for people receiving benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs for disability, pension or survivors' benefits. The IRS and Treasury are working closely with the Department of Veterans Affairs along with beneficiary organizations to ensure that all eligible individuals know what to do to receive a stimulus payment.


Normally, certain veterans’ payments are not subject to income tax. However, the economic stimulus law passed in February contains a special provision allowing recipients of certain veterans’ benefits to count those benefits toward the qualifying income requirement of $3,000 and thereby qualify for the stimulus payment.

For those who do not normally file a tax return, the IRS has prepared an 8-page informational package that includes instructions, a sample Form 1040A and a blank Form 1040A — everything needed to file a tax form today. See eligibility requirements below.

Note that line 14a of Form 1040A and line 20a of Form 1040 are designated for Social Security. However, these lines should also be used to include any veterans’ benefits.

Basic Eligibility Requirements

  • You have, or your family has, at least $3,000 in qualifying income from, or in combination with, Social Security benefits, certain Veterans Affairs benefits, Railroad Retirement benefits and earned income. Supplemental Security Income (SSI) does not count as qualifying income for the stimulus payment.
  • You and any family members listed on your tax return have valid Social Security numbers.
  • You are not a dependent or eligible to be a dependent on someone else’s federal tax return. (The same must be true of any family members claimed on your return.)

To Claim Your Payment

If you normally don’t file a federal tax return but must file one this year solely to claim your economic stimulus payment, you should file by Oct. 15, 2008, to ensure that you receive the payment this year. Find out where to send your tax return.

It will generally take a minimum of eight weeks after you file your return to get your stimulus payment.

For Those Who Have Already Filed

Some recipients of the benefits described above may have filed a 2007 tax return reporting at least $3,000 in qualifying income. They do not need to do anything else. They will begin receiving their stimulus payments in early May.

Others may need to amend a previously filed tax return to include benefits to reach the $3,000 qualifying income level. Adding these benefits on an amended tax return will not increase an individual’s tax liability but will establish eligibility for the stimulus payment. Taxpayers can use IRS Form 1040X PDF to amend a tax return in order to qualify for the stimulus payment. The amended return requires only a few simple entries.  See a sample PDF with instructions. Allow 8-12 weeks of processing time before making any inquiries about the payment.

Free Tax Help Available

Individuals who need to file a return this year to receive a stimulus payment may be able to take advantage of free tax preparation sites nationwide for low-income and elderly taxpayers.

Free File provides free tax preparation software and electronic filing for people who are submitting a return solely to receive their economic stimulus payment.

The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program provides help to low- and moderate-income taxpayers. Call 1-800-906-9887 to locate the nearest VITA site.

IRS employees will help prepare Form 1040A returns for low-income workers, retirees, disabled veterans and others at IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers. For a list of centers in your state and their hours of operation, Contact My Local Office.

Related Items: