IRS Offers Last-Minute Tips for Taxpayers


Notice: Historical Content

This is an archival or historical document and may not reflect current law, policies or procedures.

Update Nov. 3, 2014 — Please note that 1040 Central has been replaced by the Filing page.   

IR-2007-81, April 9, 2007

WASHINGTON — With the April 17 tax filing deadline close at hand, the IRS offers some tips for those still working on their paper tax forms. Those are:

  • Consider filing electronically instead of using paper tax forms
  • Put all required Social Security numbers on the return
  • Double-check your figures
  • Sign your form
  • Attach all required schedules
  • Send your return or request an extension by the April filing deadline.

Choosing to e-file your tax return instead of preparing a paper tax form is the best step you can take to ensure that your return is accurate and complete.

When you file a paper return, the numbers to check most carefully on the tax return are the identification numbers — usually Social Security numbers — for each person listed. This includes the taxpayer, spouse, dependents and persons listed in relation to claims for the Child Care or Earned Income Tax Credits. Missing, incorrect or illegible Social Security Numbers can delay or reduce a tax refund.

Taxpayers filing paper returns should also double-check that they have correctly figured the refund or balance due and have used the right figure from the tax table.

Taxpayers must sign and date their returns. Both spouses must sign a joint return, even if only one had income. Anyone paid to prepare a return must also sign it.

People sending a payment should make the check out to “United States Treasury” and should enclose it with, but not attach it to, the tax return or the Form 1040-V, Payment Voucher, if used. The check should include the taxpayer’s Social Security number, daytime phone number, the tax year and the type of form filed.

By the April due date, taxpayers should either file a return or request an extension of time to file. Remember, the extension of time to file is not an extension of time to pay.
Forms and publications and helpful information on a variety of tax subjects are available around the clock on the IRS Web site at

Related Items:

Overlooked Tax Benefits
1040 Central

Subscribe to IRS Newswire