Keep records of summer job income for your taxes

May 1, 2024

Summer break is finally here! If you’re starting a summer job or side hustle, be sure to keep track of your earnings.

Your earnings may be reported to the IRS on a Form W-2, or type of Form 1099. You may get a Form 1099-K reporting payments received for goods and services through apps, online marketplaces and bank cards. If you get one, use it with your other tax records to help you report your income next year.

Remember, all income is taxable, even if you don't get a form reporting your earnings. Be sure to keep good records throughout the year to help when you file your taxes.