Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

The Making Work Pay Tax Credit

Notice: Historical Content

This is an archival or historical document and may not reflect current law, policies or procedures.

In 2009 and 2010, the Making Work Pay provision of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 provided a refundable tax credit of up to $400 for working individuals and up to $800 for married taxpayers filing joint returns. Most wage earners benefited from larger paychecks in 2009 and 2010 as a result of the changes made to the federal income tax withholding tables to implement the Making Work Pay tax credit.

To claim the credit, most workers must file Schedule M, Making Work Pay Tax Credit (1040A or 1040), with their tax return. For more information, see Claim the Making Work Pay Tax Credit on Your Tax Return with Schedule M.

Questions and Answers

If you have questions about the Making Work Pay provision, these questions and answers might help.

Related Items:

  • FS-2011-03, Most Workers Need to File Schedule M; Making Work Pay Credit Offers Tax Savings Up to $800
  • Tax Tip 2011-15, Five Important Facts about the Making Work Pay Credit

Return to The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009: Information Center.