Continuing Education Credit Can be Earned for Data Security Courses
Tax professionals can now earn CE credit for programs covering data security and identity theft topics. Courses focused on enhancing tax professional awareness of protecting client data, including review of Publications 4556 or 4524 safeguards can qualify for continuing education in the federal tax law category.
IRS recognized CE programs previously only included those courses that covered federal tax preparation, federal tax updates, ethics, and representation topics.
IRS to Inactivate/Terminate EAs Who Haven't Renewed
Beginning in June 2017, the Internal Revenue Service will send letters to EAs whose enrollment status is being inactivated or terminated because of failure to renew.
EAs with SSNs ending in 4, 5, or 6, who did not renew for the 2017 cycle will have their enrollment placed in inactive status. Anyone in inactive status can still submit a late renewal for approval; with proof of CE.
EAs with SSNs ending in 4, 5, or 6, who have not renewed for the 2014 and 2017 cycles will have their enrollment placed in terminated status. Anyone in terminated status must re-take the SEE to apply for re-enrollment.
If you have questions about your enrollment status, please contact the Office of Enrollment at 855-472-5540.
Annual Enrollment Renewal Application Period for EAs
The 2018 Enrollment Renewal Application Period is open from November 1, 2017 through January 31, 2018. Per U.S. Treasury Department Circular No. 230 (Rev. 6-2014), you are required to renew your EA status during this time frame if your SSN ends in 7, 8, 9, or none. Without renewal your current enrollment will expire on March 31, 2018.
You do not need to await the addition of your CE to your PTIN account before renewing your PTIN or enrolled agent status.
You may submit your enrollment renewal application and payment directly online through Pay.gov.
To renew you must:
- Have an active preparer tax identification number (PTIN).
- Complete a minimum of 16 hours CE each year of your enrollment cycle for a total 72 hours. In addition, 2 hours of ethics, or professional conduct must be completed during each enrollment year. EXCEPTION: If this is your first renewal, you must complete 2 hours of CE for each month of your enrollment, including 2 hours of ethics, or professional conduct each year.
- Pay the $30 non-refundable renewal fee. This fee applies regardless of your enrollment status.
Use these tips to ensure your application is processed as quickly as possible:
- Do not submit your application prior to November 1, 2017.
- Fill in the CE table in Part 1 completely.
- Sign, and date your form in Part 3.
Please allow 90 days for processing before calling 855-472-5540 to check on the status of your application.
IRS to Conduct EA CE Audits
Beginning in May 2016, the IRS will mail letters to a random sample of EAs with SSNs ending in 0, 1, 2, or 3 requesting copies of their continuing education (CE) certificates of completion for the past three years.
Recipients of the letters will be asked to mail or fax the documents within 30 days.