Gather your information
- Employer Identification Number. You cannot use your social security number
Don't have an EIN? Apply now; allow two weeks for your new EIN to be established in our systems before filing.
- Use the same name. Your name control must match your EIN.
- Vehicle Identification Number of each vehicle.
- Taxable gross weight of each vehicle.
See Form 2290 instructions (PDF) for information on how to calculate the taxable gross weight.
Choose a 2290 e-file provider and file
- Review the list of participating commercial software providers and select one that best meets your needs.
- Services offered and fees charged differ by provider.
- You cannot e-file your Form 2290 on IRS.gov. You must use one of the participating commercial software providers.
- Follow the software prompts to complete, sign and e-file your return.
Choose a payment option
You'll receive your watermarked Schedule 1 from your e-file provider via email after we accept your Form 2290. To avoid problems, ensure the watermark on your printed copy of Schedule 1 is legible before submitting it to your state department of motor vehicles. You may need to reprint with fresh ink or on a different printer to ensure a legible watermark.