It's not too late to file your tax returns for 2016, 2017, and 2018 and claim the earned income tax credit (EITC) and other certain tax benefits such as the child tax credit/additional child tax credit/credit for other dependents (CTC/ACTC/ODC) and/or the American opportunity tax credit (AOTC), if you were eligible.
I Didn't File a Tax Return
Many individuals miss out on valuable tax credits because their income was below the amount requiring them to file or they had no taxes withheld from their paychecks. But, you must file a tax return, Form 1040, U.S. Individual Tax Return or Form 1040SR, U.S. Individual Tax Return for Seniors (PDF) to claim the EITC, CTC/ACTC/ODC, and/or AOTC.
Find out if you should file and how to get help below.
I Filed but I Didn't Claim EITC and/or Other Certain Tax Benefits
If you filed your own taxes or someone else prepared them for you, you need to file an amended return.
Find out if you were eligible for EITC and/or certain tax benefits and should file and how to get help below.
And, see Tax Topic 308, Amended Returns if you discover you may need to amend your tax return.
Did I Qualify for EITC?
- See the earned income and adjusted gross income (AGI) limits, maximum credit for the current year, previous years and the upcoming tax year.
- Did you qualify for EITC or other certain tax benefits?
- Forms and Instructions
- Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return (PDF)
- Instructions for Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return (PDF)
- Download the prior year tax forms and instructions. Keyword search: 1040.
- If you have a qualifying child or children, you'll need to download Schedule EIC for prior years. This form must be attached to your 1040. Keyword search: EIC
- Order the forms and instructions by calling call 800-829-3676. Make sure you indicate the year or years you need the forms and instructions for.
Hurry, Your Time is Running Out to Claim EITC if You Didn't File a Return!
- For 2016, you need to file your tax return by April 15, 2020
- For 2017, you need to file your tax return by April 15, 2021
- For 2018, you need to file your tax return by April 15, 2022
Where to Get Help Preparing Your Tax Forms
- Free help preparing your return, all volunteer sites help you prepare your current year tax return and help you determine if you qualify for EITC. Some of the sites also help you claim EITC for earlier years. Find a location for free tax return preparation by volunteers here.
- If you go to or have a tax return preparer, ask your preparer about your prior year tax returns and check out, I'm Paying Someone to Do My Return, What Should I Know?