If you don’t get a W-2 or your W-2 is wrong

Your employer is required to give you a Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. This record shows your income and taxes withheld.

Here's what to do if you don't get one or if the information is wrong.

If you don't get a W-2 by end of January

Contact your employer to confirm when the form is coming.

If you don't get a W-2 by end of February

If you contacted your employer and still don't have your W-2, call us at 800-829-1040.

Have your information ready so we can help you:

  • Name, address and phone number
  • Social Security or individual tax ID number
  • Dates when you worked for the employer
  • Employer's name, address and phone number

We'll contact your employer and request the missing W-2.

We'll also send you a copy of Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. You can use this to file your tax return without your W-2.

If you don't get a W-2 in time to file your taxes

Use your paycheck stubs to estimate your wages. Then complete Form 4852 and attach it to your tax return.

If your W-2 is incorrect

Ask your employer to correct the error. If your employer doesn't correct it by the end of February, you should either:

We'll send your employer a letter asking them to give you a corrected W-2 within 10 days.

We'll also send you instructions for Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2. You can use it to estimate your earnings.

If you filed with incorrect W-2 information

File an amended return with the correct information.