Questions and Answers
- Why did we go to this pay system?
- The IRS is implementing user fees pursuant to an Office of Management and Budget directive instructing federal agencies to charge user fees reflecting the full cost of goods and services that “convey special benefits to recipients beyond those accruing to the general public.” This policy change impacts the IVES program as well as other fee-based programs.
- How much will the service cost?
- There is a fee of $2.00 for each transcript requested.
- Why must I register for e-Services? How?
- Under the new system, transcripts will be delivered using the e-Services platform via a secure mailbox. The e-Services system is successfully serving that purpose for tax professionals who request transcript information on behalf of their clients. It’s the logical solution for the IVES program. To participate in the IVES program, companies will need to register and identify employees to act as agents to receive electronic transcripts on the company’s behalf. (For details on the application and registration process, please refer to the IVES main page.) To gain access to the secure mailbox, each user must register for e-Services using the registration process outlined on the e-Services web page. The registration process takes about two weeks to complete.
- How and when will I be billed?
- You will be billed every 30 days, depending on your usage. Payments must be made electronically through a secure IRS.gov payment portal using either a credit card or an electronic funds transfer. Payments must be received within 30 calendar days of the date of the invoice.
- What are the consequences of non-payment?
- If a participant fails to pay an invoice timely, the participant will be suspended from the Program until such time that all outstanding invoices have been paid in full. Invoices outstanding past 30 days will be subject to interest, penalties, and administrative charges and will be subject to the Treasury Offset Program (TOP). For more information regarding the TOP, please refer to www.fiscal.treasury.gov.
- Will I be billed for rejects and incomplete requests?
- Yes. The Form 4506-T or Form 4506T-EZ must be completed fully and correctly, and then properly signed and dated by the taxpayer.
- When will fees be charged?
- The fee will apply regardless of whether (1) a duplicate request for a return transcript is submitted; (2) an incomplete (i.e., a request that cannot be processed due to missing or incorrect information) or false or fraudulent (i.e., a request that has been altered in someway) request is submitted; (3) no record is located; or (4) the Service is otherwise unable to deliver the transcript (e.g., a delegated user’s secure mailbox is full or an incorrect fax number was provided). The participant will be responsible for all fees incurred by their delegated users.
- If W-2's are requested from a joint return and both signatures are on the Form 4506-T or Form 4506T-EZ, will there be a charge for both products?
- Yes. If the request is for W-2's and there are two signatures, then two products have been requested.
- What if I dispute a bill?
- If you disagree with a bill and are requesting an adjustment to the amount charged, the following information must be provided, in writing, to the IVES location where your requests were submitted: a copy of the IVES acknowledgement sheet; a copy of the Form 4506-T, taxpayer name, and reason for adjustment request (i.e. wrong tax year received, transcript received but not ordered, etc.). This information must be provided for each dispute.
- What if there is an e-Service system malfunction?
- The primary method of delivery for the products from this program will be to deposit the product electronically into an e-Services’ secure mailbox. Fax will be the alternate delivery method available if a temporary e-Services malfunction occurs. If the entire system is unavailable for an extended period, an alternate, manual system, will be used to process transcripts.
- How will enrollment information be provided?
- For enrollment instructions and required forms refer to the How do I apply for IVES? and How do I register with e-Services? on the IVES main page.
- Will I still need to use the Form 4506-Tor Form 4506T-EZ ?
- Do I still submit the Form 4506-T or Form 4506T-EZ to my current RAIVS unit?
- You must submit the completed Form 4506-T or Form 4506T-EZ via facsimile to the RAIVS unit closest to your business office location. (For additional information on completing Form 4506-T or Form 4506T-EZ follow the link to Getting Started – Using IVES on the main IVES page.)
- Will my contacts change at the RAIVS units?
- Your contacts will not change unless the RAIVS unit closest to your office is different than your previous RAIVS unit or you have been notified of assignment to a different RAIVS location.
- Is the IVES Detail Report available in a format other than .pdf?
- In an effort to share information regarding the IVES Detail Report, it was brought to our attention some participants may not be aware that in addition to the .pdf format the report is also available in the .csv format which can be saved as an EXCEL (.xls) file. This will allow you to sort and search information within the file. When requesting the report use the drop down arrow to change the file from .pdf to .csv. In order to view the tracking number on the .csv version, it is necessary to format the column using the steps below.
1. Highlight the entire tracking number column.
2. Click on Format at the top of the report.
3. Click on "cells".
4. When the formatting screen appears click on "number".
5. On the right side of the screen change the decimal place to zero and click "OK".