IRS VITA Grant Program
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) grant program is an IRS initiative designed to support free tax preparation service for the underserved through various partner organizations. This service helps low- to moderate-income individuals, persons with disabilities, the elderly, and limited English speakers file their taxes each year. IRS awards matching funds to these support organizations that offer free tax preparation services during the tax filing season at locations in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
Our current grants allow IRS partner organizations to:
- Increase VITA services to the underserved across the country;
- Increase the number of returns filed electronically;
- Enhance volunteer training; and
- Significantly improve the accuracy of returns prepared at volunteer sites.
Please use the links below if you are a partner organization that is interested in applying for a VITA grant or if you are an existing grant recipient seeking additional guidance and information.
If you are interested in becoming an IRS partner or volunteer and need more information, the following links should be helpful.
- Become and IRS Partner to learn how to partner with IRS in your community
- IRS Tax Volunteers for information on volunteer opportunities in your local area
- Free Tax Return Preparation for you by Volunteers for details on the free tax programs
- Get Free Tax Prep Help to identify a partner site near you
Contact the IRS VITA Grant Office at Grant.Program.Office@irs.gov for more information.