Ways to Get Transcripts
You may register to use Get Transcript Online to view, print, or download all transcript types listed below.
If you're unable to register or you prefer not to use Get Transcript Online, you may order a tax return transcript and/or a tax account transcript using Get Transcript by Mail or call 800-908-9946. Please allow 5 to 10 calendar days for delivery.
You may also request any transcript type listed below by faxing/mailing Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return as instructed on the form.
We offer the following transcript types at no charge to you:
- Tax Return Transcript - shows most line items including your adjusted gross income (AGI) from your original tax return (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) as filed, along with any forms and schedules. It doesn’t show changes made after you filed your original return. This transcript is only available for the current tax year and returns processed during the prior three years. A tax return transcript usually meets the needs of lending institutions offering mortgages and student loans. Note: the secondary spouse on a joint return must use Get Transcript Online or Form 4506-T to request this transcript type. When using Get Transcript by Mail or phone, the primary taxpayer on the return must make the request.
- Tax Account Transcript - shows basic data such as return type, marital status, adjusted gross income, taxable income and all payment types. It also shows changes made after you filed your original return. This transcript is available for the current tax year and up to 10 prior years using Get Transcript Online or Form 4506-T. When using Get Transcript by Mail or phone, you’re limited to the current tax year and returns processed during the prior three years. Note: If you made estimated tax payments and/or applied an overpayment from a prior year return, you can request this transcript type a few weeks after the beginning of the calendar year to confirm your payments prior to filing your tax return.
- Record of Account Transcript - combines the tax return and tax account transcripts above into one complete transcript. This transcript is available for the current tax year and returns processed during the prior three years using Get Transcript Online or Form 4506-T.
- Wage and Income Transcript - shows data from information returns we receive such as Forms W-2, 1099, 1098 and Form 5498, IRA Contribution Information. Current tax year information may not be complete until July. This transcript is available for up to 10 prior years using Get Transcript Online or Form 4506-T.
- Verification of Non-filing Letter - provides proof that the IRS has no record of a filed Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ for the year you requested. It doesn't indicate whether you were required to file a return for that year. This letter is available after June 15 for the current tax year or anytime for the prior three tax years using Get Transcript Online or Form 4506-T. You must use Form 4506-T if you need a letter for tax years older than the prior three years.
Note: A transcript can show return and/or account data. It also can show changes or transactions made after you filed your original return. Transaction codes consist of three digits. They are used to identify a transaction being processed and to maintain a history of actions posted to a taxpayer’s account. For further information regarding transaction codes, please see Document 11734 - Transaction Code Pocket Guide (PDF).
Note: A transcript isn’t a photocopy of your return. If you need a copy of your original return, complete and mail Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return, along with the applicable fee.
Refer to Get Transcript frequently asked questions for more information.